Big events make big scam opportunities
The Olympics is big news for most people and scammers are out to get your attention. What would you do if you received an email from someone that included an interesting subject about the Olympics? Would you open it? Scammers are betting that an interesting subject will get you to open an email.
Here is a rundown on the most popular computer problems for the past few weeks.
“I spilled something on the computer” Spilled drinks on computers have been a very popular problem since the summer heat has arrived. One woman informed me that I didn’t understand the urgency of her predicament. I think that she thought that I had a special repair process reserved for urgent situations. I had to rain on her parade. “I’m sorry that I can’t tell you what you want to hear but there is no instant fix for a water damaged computer.” …or maybe there is an instant fix, buy a new computer.
MAN SHOUTS AT COMPUTER:
The Internet is always a source of entertainment. I happened to stumble across a funny youtube video that contains an interesting lesson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4 is the video of a man shouting at hard drives in a data center.
A computer disk activity analysis program recorded that disk activity increases when the man shouts at the hard drives in a server farm. Does this prove that computers are getting ready to over through mankind? No, you don’t have to worry about hurting your computer’s feelings, this does not indicate that the program has feelings.
Bring Your Own Device, BYOD?
Since almost everyone has their own computer and smart phone, some companies are allowing employees to use their personal smart phones and computers on the corporate network. While this might seem like a good idea, management should carefully consider the pros and cons before accepting BYOD.
“What’s the Password?”
Have you ever attempted to log into a website but you couldn’t remember your password? Don’t worry, you aren’t losing it. My brother, the MD, wisely told me, “If you think you have Alzheimer’s, you don’t have it. If you have it, you don’t know it.”
- On the technical side 07-03-2012
- On the technical side 06-26-2012
- On the technical side 06-19-2012
- On the technical side 06-12-2012
- On the technical side 06-05-2012
- On the technical side 05-29-2012
- On the technical side 05-22-2012
- On the technical side 05-15-2012
- On the technical side 05-08-2012
- On the technical side 05-01-2012
- On the technical side 04-24-2012
- On the technical side 04-17-2012
- On the technical side 04-10-2012
- RE: On the technical side 04-03-2012
- On the technical side 03-27-2012
- On the technical side 03-20-2012
- On the technical side 03-13-2012
- On the technical side 03-06-2012
- On the technical side 02-28-2012
- On the technical side 02-21-2012